Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

May we never forget

20th of January 1942 was the day when a group of people, that had turned into animals, established the final solution. The solution how they would get rid of anyone of jewish heritage for no other reason than that they were jewish. 50 years later, on the day, I was born. I am far from the only one that can claim to be a living proof that their solution didn't succeed and even if I was the only one I would have exactly the same responsibility to make sure that this horrible part of our history will never be forgotten. When I talk about the holocaust I do not only talk about the jewish people, I talk about my own history, my family and a part of who I am. As a 3rd generation survivor I cannot say that I understood what the victims went through, doing that would be disrespectful and nonchalant. It is impossible to imagine hell on earth if you never experienced it and thank G-D I haven't. However, as a 3rd generation survivor I can be a witness of my grandparents stories. I have the responsibility to keep their memory alive even when they are gone because if I don't tell my children, how will they know to prevent it from happening again?

 I consider myself lucky. I had the possibility to get to know my grandparents. My parents didn't know theirs. They were murdered by tyrants. Some people say it was an act of humans only following order but no human can become that cruel without losing his right to call himself a person. I wish I could share the stories of my grandparents in detail, because every story is unique, but I was always too scared to ask and my grandparents were most likely to traumatised to share but I know that both my grandfather and my grandmother survived Auschwitz. They had to suffer through hell whilst their family was taken away from them. I may not know the full story but I know enough from small comments to the nightmares they had that what happened in the Holocaust should never happen again and should never be forgotten. Many of us take it for granted that we have grandparents or even great-grandparents but I never taken my family tree for granted because there are many branches that were cut off and never recovered again. My parents named me after my grandmother's sister who was murdered in the Holocaust. This very often reminds me that I have the responsibility to build up our broken tree.

 We now live in a world where there is cruelty wherever we go. There is terror, criminality, war and other horrible things and it is easy for us to only look at our own history without learning anything from it. To me Yom HaShua is not only about remembering, it is to remind us that we need to take care of each other regardless race, gender and social status. We can't keep saying "Never Again" and let it happen to other people. I am only one person but as we know only one person could do a lot of harm but one person can also do a lot of good. Let us take this opportunity to maybe change one thing in our lives to become better people, not only for ourselves but for the 6 million jews and 1 million other innocent people that never got the opportunity to live their lives to the fullest and contribute with goodness to the world.

50 years after the establishment of the final solution a Jewish girl was born. That jewish girl now lives in Israel, the jewish state, together with millions of jews. All of us proof that these people's memory will still live on.

 May their memory be a blessing and may we never ever forget.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated