Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Shelach - and my take on it

This week’s Parasha, Shelach, tells the story of the 12 spies being sent out to Israel to report to Moshe what kind of land there is. As you might know 10 of the spies come back with the update that there are inhabitants that will be dangerous for the Jews. However, two of the spies confirm this but say that with G-ds help they would be able to defeat the enemies if needed. The punishment for the people that believed the 10 spies was to wander in the desert for 40 years.
When reading this there is one thought that comes to mind, if Hashem was going to punish the Jews for believing the 10 spies, why did Hashem even send the spies?
Personally, I would say that this was probably a way for Hashem to test our trust in him. We had just received the Torah and we had already defied him once. Maybe we just weren’t ready to have enough faith in Hashem. We needed some more time to become a people that would put our trust in Hashem.
Nachmanides explains that the spies were sent out to be able to come back with information about the people living in Canaan to help the Jews to find the best way to approach the land. It was only Moshe that added on the mission to update them about the land itself since he was sure of them coming back with an update saying that the land was fruitful and beautiful. This update would reassure the Jews that this was the right place for them. The thrill of a beautiful land would make them eager to proceed with the conquest.
This was all done due to the insecurity Moshe had in the people and he needed something to reassure them and help them overcome their fears. However, unfortunately 10 of the spies had more fear than faith which led to Hashem having no other choice but to punish the people.
From this, there are certain points we can learn. With the several terror attacks happening in England and the rest of the world recently we are fully aware of that the world isn’t such a great place all the time, just like Canaan had people in it that would cause several problems to the Jews but that didn’t make it a less fruitful and beautiful country. We should choose to see what the 2 spies saw instead of the fear that the 10 spies had.
We can also take from this that even though there are challenges in life and if we defy Hashem we will get punished, not because Hashem wants us to go through bad things but because he wants to make sure we are ready to appreciate what we receive. 

We should be more like Moshe and try to counteract our fear with the beauty of the world and the good deeds we do for each other because then we will be rewarded with something as amazing as Israel. 

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f

and here we go again

I think I have tried many things to blog about I've hardly managed to keep a blog with weekly updates. That is why I am giving this blog a try. I am getting tired of all these blogs where people just write about their feelings without actually coming to a conclusion and it is usually just daily rant about life. I can't deny that my previous blogs haven't been like that because they have but I think I am ready to actually take a step out of ranting about how lousy my life is. My life might still be lousy but at least I can try to get other people to get something out of it. This blog won't cover a specific topic. It will rather cover things happening in the world, my life and other subjects I might find interesting. Hopefully people will find it interesting since it will be a wide blog. At least I'm hoping that my thoughts might interest people and inspire people to some level. As a student I can't promise posts everyday but I can promise you that an update wil