Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Yom Hazikaron

As the clock struck 20.00 last night the whole world around me stopped. The thousands of people surrounding me went silent. A minute of silence so powerful that my body shivered. A whole country stopped to remember the fallen soldiers and civilians that we have lost to terror and war. A whole country being silent for the ones that cannot share their own story anymore but their absence speak louder than any noise anyone of us could make.
I don't have my own story. I haven't lost a family member or a friend but I have lost 23,741 soldiers and 3,150 civilians to terror. Even though it wasn't my own brother each one of them left a family behind; a mother and father with an empty bed to say goodnight to, a little sister that will never have that protective older brother to defend her and an older brother that will never get a chance to give his brother advice on girl problems. Each one of the 26 891 victims has a story, a story that we have to pass on for those who cannot. A story that  we have to pass on because we are alive and safe because of them.
In almost 30 minutes the siren will go off again. We will once again stand in silence for a minute. A minute to commemorate the dead. A minute to honor the ones that have made it possible for us to have a Jewish state. A minute to reflect that as long as innocent people die we will not be silent and stand and watch.
No words or minutes of silence can express the respect I have for the soldier in this country. The ones that on a daily basis put their lives on the line for my safety. I fear that one day this will be my own kids but pray that the world will be a better place by then. Until then the true heroes do not wear capes, the true heroes have been taken away from us too early.

May their memory be a blessing. 

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f