Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

How coding saved my life

I have recently on this blog mentioned how I am suffering from depression. By living with a mental illness, bad days is a re-occurring thing in my life and sometimes it can be for no reason at all apart from the fact that my brain simply won't produce enough serotonin for me to be able to feel the happiness that other people feel. This challenge in my life has led to me having to find ways to distract my brain from thinking all those negative thoughts that come and go constantly. I've tried mindfulness, therapy, breathing exercises and the list goes on and on. Even though some of these things have helped at times there is only one thing that has actually been able to calm me down recently; coding.
I started learning code a few months ago but I immediately grew to love it. I am not always able to solve the issues but there is so much information out there that I will always be able to get around it somehow. So why do coding help me to relax? Well to be honest I think it's  a way for me to use my brain and I need to focus and by focusing on that I don't have to think about all these things that just make me feel down. But that's not the only reason; coding is extremely fulfilling since you are able to see the results straight away. If you make a mistake you can correct it and move on. It's something that is constantly developing and the more you do it the more you learn. For me this means having a short time of my life when I feel like I am actually accomplishing something. I am fully aware of that I am not creating world peace or coming up with a treatment for cancer but I am accomplishing something that I can see right in front of my eyes and for someone who very rarely feel like she's accomplishing something this is a miracle.
I am far from an expert, well I'm not even an amateur but that doesn't matter when it comes to coding. It all starts with learning the simple parts because once you get that down you can always develop it and make the same project grow. There is always something you can change or add on to make it even better.
Coding isn't just for computer nerds, it's for everyone. It will give you an understanding of what actually happens when you use the internet and it will even give you an insight how you can use it to enjoy your time online more. It's a rich language with infinite opportunities, not like French or Spanish that you learn in school and then probably never use.
So did coding actually save my life? Well, probably not but it sure made me get through the day and I would recommend anyone who has ever felt the need to actually feel that they are accomplishing anything to attempt it. It might take some time to get into it and you might have to ask questions or start over a few times but trust me, the first time that you write a page from scratch you will be so extremely proud of yourself. Hopefully, that short time of pride will help you to at least get through this day, at least it has done with me.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f