Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

The job hunting jungle

I am about to finish my Masters degree which means that I have to kiss my student loan goodbye and go out in the real world and work. This might sound scary but the truth is that I am more than ready for it. I'm even that ready that I go to shops and look at smart clothes because I can't wait to wear a skirt, blouse, jacket, heels and walk around with my skinny latte in my hand. Obviously I understand that this is not actually how the business world looks like but I know that I want to be one of these empowering women who are proud to focus on their career.
There is a big problem with this dream of mine though, I need to find a job first. To some people job hunting seems like fun and a challenge but to me it is a big jungle. Not only do I have to decide what kind of job I want but then I need to figure out what qualities I have that makes me the best person for the job. It would be easy if my cover letter could say "you have to meet me to understand my charm and how great I am so just give me the job and I'll prove that you made the right decision". Unfortunately, that job application would be thrown in the bin after the first three words.
So how do I know I'm the best person for a job then? Well first of all I am an optimistic person, apart from when it comes to the weather because I live in Manchester, and hoping for good weather here is like waiting for rain in the drought, useless and disappointing.
Ok, I have to admit that there are many optimistic people out there that would do more damage to your company than good but not only am I optimistic; I'm hard working and a quick learner. You could probably ask anyone I've ever worked for and they'll guarantee you that once I've had something explained to me once I can do it by myself. It has also made me keen on learning because I've noticed how I can use new skills in my life. So far I sound great don't I? Doesn't this girl have any flaws at all, you might think?
Well I do, I mean who doesn't? However, my biggest flaw is that I do not like to have an empty schedule which means that I am always busy and if I've finished whatever I am doing I take on another challenge and that's something an employer can put up with no?
This flaw of mine has led to me constantly working on some kind of project. This has often meant that I've been doing internships during the summers, most of them have been within social media which suites me perfectly because who doesn't like spending her time in front of Facebook, Twitter and other websites.
So how would someone else describe me? I've been told that I'm a type 2 according to the enneagram which is the helper and the more I learn about it the more I notice that I am the stereotype. I spend my spare time volunteering in ambulances even though my degree has no connection to medicine simply because I enjoy helping people in a stressful environment. Yes, I've saved someone's life. No, I'm not scared of blood. And yes, it is a lot of fun when the ambulance is driving really quick with the sirens on because it makes me feel like I'm a superhero.
I guess these qualities makes me ready to work in a stressful environment and my ambitious lifestyle has probably put me in this situation where I've had very few paid jobs but lots of internships. I mean, if I could support myself on smiles from people I would be rich but that's not how the world works.
Not only am I a quick learner and a hard worker, I tend to think outside of the box and be daring. I was even daring enough to attempt to start my own PR company with two coursemates and call it B.A.D PR (Building and Developing Public Relations). Brave or stupid? I guess it's up to you to decide. Unfortunately, this dream of ours had to come to an end when I decided to replace my Scouse accent with Mancunian.
So why should you hire me, you might ask? Well if these things aren't proof enough I can provide you with a long list of skills I have and of course I have a CV that I'll happily share with you.
But what I can say is that regardless who decides to hire me I will work my a** off to achieve the goals and more and all this with a smile on my face. I would even learn relevant skills on my spare time just so I can maximize my contribution to the team because I'm a team player.
So if you are looking for someone to join your company you know where to find me (I'll be in the jungle) and believe me, you won't regret it.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f