Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Confusion of converting


I was born Jewish. By saying this I mean that I was born having parents that practice the Jewish faith. Because of this I was raised to believe in God, follow certain rules and participate in several different festivals. My parents never told me God existed but it was pretty much implied by the way they encouraged me to go to the synagogue to pray and say all types of blessings before Friday night dinner and lighting candles. Even my name is Jewish so lets face it, there was no way I could grow up without considering myself Jewish. As I grew up it was simply just a given thing. I was Jewish and therefore should believe certain things and behave a certain way.
Lately my thought process has changed though. Not because I don't like some of the Jewish traditions but because I (after a very long time) stepped out of my comfort zone and religion wasn't a thing handed to me anymore. I got the freedom to explore how I really feel about religion and what I've learnt is that there are some aspects that I really don't agree with. I've come to discover how close minded many religious people are and as a person who constantly want to learn new things and develop as a person, being close-minded simply doesn't do it for me. I'm not saying all religious people are close-minded because I've met many people like me on my journey but we often tend to stick to what we've been taught as children instead of actually forming our own opinion. Because of this we don't always think outside the box and understand how other people think.
The issue isn't that I don't believe in God (which I'm still undecided about) but that I feel that being religious puts a lot of pressure and expectations on me instead of me choosing to do these things because I like it. Instead of religion giving me some sort of strength as it should do I often see it as a burden and some sort of responsibility to pass the traditions on. That is why I don't understand people that choose to convert to a religion.
I understand that there is a part of religion that seems enticing such as feeling a sense of belonging or having some kind of guidelines in life of what is right or wrong. However, I strongly believe that you can have these things without having the pressure from a religion. We are constantly told what right and wrong is in the society and if I was the one deciding I wouldn't always trust religion's opinion on right and wrong since it very often is a slight skewed picture of it.
If you haven't grown up with a religion you might feel that converting will make you fit in to a group but in my opinion I don't think that is the case. Since you haven't grown up with these traditions and knowing everyone in the community you are very likely to feel misplaced in the early stages of your conversion. I can't say I know how it feels like but I can relate since I recently moved to a new city and a new community where I completely feel like an outsider even though I speak the same language and grew up with very similar traditions.
So what should you do in my opinion then? Well, in my opinion you don't have to belong to a religion to believe in God. You don't even have to pray to God to believe in God and if you feel like you want to pray then you don't need other people around you to do that. If there are good things in a religion that you like there is nothing that says that you can't adapt these things to your life.
One of the things that struck me reading about people choosing to convert was that the people saw a deeper meaning in life instead of living a shallow lifestyle. I can see how religion might give you this feeling but if you can find a deeper meaning in life by finding God you haven't actually found a deeper meaning. You've just found something to tell you how to live your life that prevents you from living your shallow lifestyle.
In our society we already have guidelines how to behave and there are lots of groups out there for people to find a connection to. Religion won't solve any problems and I personally don't understand why anyone would want to put these restrictions to their life. If you don't like bacon, then don't eat bacon. You don't have to become Jewish to stop. If you want an arranged marriage, go on a dating site or ask a friend to set you up.
Religion is something most of us are born with, many of us see it as a burden, some see it as a blessing and some people think like me, it's simply something I was born with and I have to make the best of it.

This article is the reason for me writing this post. You might find it interesting.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2223866/Islam-real-love-just-lust-The-party-girl-whos-embraced-new-life-Muslim-convert.html


Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f