Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

The Faults in Our Stars

Sometimes a book can put your life into perspective. The Faults in our stars is one of those books. For those who haven't read it, the book is about a girl who has terminal cancer. It follows her dilemmas and problems being a teenager with more problems than just growing up. As in every book about growing up, she meets   boy that of course creates even more problems for her and she needs to deal with all these things at the same time as she deals with the fact that she is dying.
When I was reading this book I was going through some difficult things in my life and I was expecting to get some inspiration from the book. It's not one of those books where everything ends up fine (won't spoil the end more than that) but it's one of those books that makes you realise that sometimes things aren't as bad as you think they are.
John Green has managed to describe the feelings the characters have in a way that gives the reader an opportunity to both laugh and cry together with the fictional people.

Two of my favourite quotes from the book are
The marks humans leave are too often scars. ”
I'm not saying it was your fault. I'm saying it wasn't nice. ”

These quotes really got to me when reading the book because it taught me that life isn't always easy and we can hurt other people without doing it on purpose. We are all in this world to leave a mark on other people but many times we fail with that mission and instead of leaving a positive mark we scar them. 


The second quote also hit me for the fact that I suddenly realised that sometimes we are upset with people for no reason. It might not be their fault that they do something or something happens to them or the people around them but we can't blame them because it wasn't their fault.


The book doesn't only teach you that life isn't always perfect but we can still appreciate what we've got and that it's the small things in life that make life worth living as cliché as it sounds.
When reading this book I felt that there was one thing that I didn't realise before but it all made sense now. If you've read the book you will know what part I'm talking about. Sometimes we create a picture of something in our head. This makes us look up to someone or something that in the end might be something completely different. So instead of creating an unreal image of the world and the people around us we need to look at it for what it really is. Yes, we might find comfort in admiring someone famous or in a book but in the end it's are attitude that is comforting us and the book or person only brings that out from us. We need to learn how to bring that out ourselves.


I can't recommend the book enough, not only because it is really good but also there is a life lesson in it that is worth learning.

By the way, it's coming out on film in June. Here is the trailer.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f