Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

What if G-d was one of us?

A while ago I go into a discussion with an old jewish friend who now doesn't associate with Jews at all. We started talking about whether God exists or not and why I believe in something that you have to prove but still haven't been able to prove . She strongly believed that God is something we made up a few thousand years ago and believing that praying  is going to help us is completely unnecessary. It is basically just us talking to ourselves and thinking it is going to make life better. As the conversation moved on the obvious argument came up, if there is a God why are there evil people in the world?
To be honest I don't have a good answer to any of these questions so I usually end up answering the question with another question.

Why should we not believe in God. There is nothing to disprove that God exists and even if it were so, why can't you not believe in something that makes you feel stronger and gives a some kind of hope. It doesn't hurt anyone or affect anyone else. If it would do anything it would make us to better people.
Scientists always excludes God in their studies because science can not be combined with religion, but that's where they're wrong . There is nothing in religion that opposes evolution. We just think there's something else that has helped it as it developed. I think there is an explanation for why evolution happened the way that it did and whether it was God or just a massive coincidence doesn't oppose the whole part of believing in something higher than you.

Having to defend the existence of God makes me annoyed , especially when another Jew is questioning my faith. But despite the irritation I do believe in God and no one is going to change that. I defend something I can not prove because I know that if my belief is strong enough , it will give me strength and answers to the questions I have. One thing I've learnt is that if many people believe in the same thing it proves that it can't be all wrong. Yes, I know there have been many times when a lot of people have believed in something that wasn't for the good but from being jewish I haven't seen any values being bad so I don't see what would be so wrong with it.  If we find strength by believing there is something more powerful than us it doesn't matter if it is proved or not, it is about how it makes us feel. I just hope that everyone who can not find faith will do it in the future because it has given me and millions of other people happiness in life that I do not think anything else can provide. Whether it is from God or the homeless man in the street, no one should tell you the faith you have needs to be proved because the fact that you believe in it makes it real even though no one else can see it.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f