Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Student engagement

Recently I have felt the need to get involved in what the Uni does for the students. I have now been course rep for almost 2 years of uni and so far I have seen no change in the uni regardless how much we complain. This made me decide to actually take action to one of the things that pisses me off the most (excuse me for the language); the uni showing the students that they support them. We have a radio in uni and a proper radio station. There are almost 20 radio shows on during the week and the students make a lot of effort to actually prepare for these shows and what does the uni do? Plays other radio stations because they don't find the music on Radio Hope good enough. First of all, everyone has different taste in music and the women working in the canteen on the average age on 40 probably can't be the ones knowing what students want to hear. Secondly, even if people don't like the music that is being played on Radio Hope they won't stop coming to the canteen since it's the only place to get food and thirdly, if not even the uni supports the radio station how can they expect anyone else to do it. To be able to change this I decided to start a petition and so far I've got to responses. The first one is "we've tried this so many times but I'll sign it I guess" and the other response is "what a great idea". Yes, it is true, they've tried it before but that doesn't mean it is not going to work this time. I am not willing to stand by and let the uni screw us over.
So please sign the petition (find me in uni or go to the radio studio) and listen to Radio Hope.
Another thing that annoys me is how the Uni promises things and then decides to go the other way. Me and my fellow coursemates were promised a practical degree and we ended up our whole first year not having one single practical lecture and in second year we only have 25% practical lectures. We've complained about it repeatedly but there is still no change. Yes, the first years have practical and it is nice to see that the uni cares about someone but if we were the ones complaining, shouldn't that gain us? It has even got that far that one of our lecturers is quitting because he is not allowed to teach the module he was suppose to teach and instead of teaching us how to be journalists (which is what we came to uni for) he is basically just going through first year but more indepth. So the disappointment isn't only amongst the students. There are meetings with students where we are suppose to be able to complain and make the uni listen to our opinions, they have even decided it should be once a month instead of twice each term. This means there are students making an effort to try to change things they dislike but all we get is screwed over by the uni over and over again. So what is the point complaining?
I'm not trying to say that my uni isn't doing good things, we have some great lecturers that are passionate about their subject and that teach us the things we actually want to learn. But these lecturers seem to be stopped by the uni. I'm not denying that the uni probably know what's best for us but the problem is them lying to us. If they weren't going to offer us practical work, don't promise us that. Also, we are the ones paying 3 grand every year, shouldn't we be taught what we want to learn. I bet the attendance level would be much higher and the marks much better if we actually felt that the uni listened to us. Wouldn't the uni have a better outcome in that situation?
I think it is important to be involved in what the uni does but it's got to the point when I'm wondering what we're gonna have to do to actually change something. If we are going to loudspeakers up in the canteen and play Radio Hope or make a documentury about the uni with the help from the lecturers that actually care than we will. It is important to engage yourself because otherwise nothing will change, but seriously, all we expect is some change. That shouldn't be that difficult.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f