Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

My own Brexit

As I'm writing this post I have less than 48 h left in England. Yes, that sounds extremely dramatic but after living here for 6 years it definitely feels like a big deal. There are many emotions passing through when I think back of the time I've had here. It's been a massive roller coaster and I've met so many different people and learnt more than I ever thought I would, I mean I only came for university and we all know you don't learn anything there.
For a long time I have wanted to move to Israel and for some reason there has always been something stopping me but then one day I felt ready, it was time to break free from the familiarity of rain, pints, red skin in the summer and people walking without shirts on the second the sun comes out.
To be completely honest, I don't know how to express myself about leaving because I don't know how I feel about it. A part of me is excited and extremely happy but then there's that part that makes me feel sad because I am leaving people behind that have become my family. I know that they'll only be a phone call away but things are about to change. Thankfully the last 2 weeks have been amazing with celebrating 2 weddings and one engagement. Leaving England becomes a bit easier when I see all these happy things happening in our lives.
Spending 3 years in Liverpool and 3 years in Manchester I can say that I've come to love this country but I have also come to hate it. In every place there are issues and when you get the opportunity to see what's going on in a country a bit deeper you start to see the faults and I think in this case the negative parts of the country couldn't be forgotten with the good things because I know that I can take the good things with me. I'm not saying that England is a bad place, it's just not the place for me.
Since we're telling the truth, the last 6 years have been extremely hard. I've learnt a lot about other people but more about myself. My whole adult life so far has been spent here and becoming an adult can be ridiculously hard but I can honestly say that without all the people I've met, both the ones that have hurt me and the ones that have supported me, I wouldn't be who I am today.

I think this is my opportunity to express my gratitude and love to my friends, the ones I made in uni, the ones I lived with and the ones that have been there for me even when I couldn't even cope with myself (some of you fit in to all of the above). I can't describe how much I will miss you guys. I have always been scared of not fitting in and that my friends don't really care but you have all proven to me that there are people out there that care and that will be my friends for the rest of my life. Just knowing that I have a family to come to in England or friends that will come and visit me in Israel makes me warm inside and it makes me a bit less scared of leaving because I know it's not goodbye. When I moved to England I never expected to meet people that could accept my weirdness but turns out there are plenty of other people here as odd as me, and believe me, it's a good thing.
When you move to another country you have no idea what to expect. It is exciting but also scary as hell. I quickly stopped being scared when I walked into Hillel House in Liverpool with lots of people welcoming me. They became my family for 3 years and I am so happy that a lot of them are still my close friends. The community welcomed me with open arms and that is something I will constantly be grateful for. It inspired me to also welcome people to my home and be as warm and caring as they were.
When I then moved to Manchester it was a bit of a shock. I suddenly lived in a shtetl but I have to say that if all families in the shtetls were as loving and welcoming as the families that have hosted me I can understand why they stuck together. I've met some amazing people in Manchester that has taught me so much about life that I will take with me on whatever journey I go on.

Before I lived in Manchester I was a bit scared of being friends with lots of girls but these people have showed me that girls can be the best friends anyone could ask for if you find the right ones and I have. You all know who you are and I love you all so much.

I think that you all get my point here. These last 6 years have been both good and bad but I am taking all the good memories with me and leaving with a big smile on my face knowing that I have friends for life. I can't promise that there won't be any tears because I have to admit, there's been some whilst writing this post but they will be happy tears.

Thank you England for these 6 years. It's been well good!

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated