Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Confession of a techic

Techic, what is that, you might wonder. Well, it's actually not a real thing but a made up term by me for a girl that works with technology so basically a tech chic. But this post is not actually about made up words but how it is to be a girl in a technological world.
We all use technology but some more than others and by going into web development I have chosen a career that is extremely male dominated. This might be considered as scary to many of us but in my opinion it doesn't frighten me at all. During my whole life I have been interested in techie stuff and doing "boy"-things such playing football and not really being fussed about fashion and make-up. I know this is stereotypes and many of us don't fit into them but being friends with boys has never been scary to me.
By being interested in technology and hobbies that are male-dominated you are, as a girl, often welcomed with a very surprised reaction. Sometimes you might think they haven't seen a girl before (and as we all know, some of them probably haven't because they spend all their time in front of a computer...don't worry, only joking).
I have now worked in a male dominated environment for over 3 weeks and I have already had the question "how are you coping with so many guys" asked at least 10 times. I don't see it as an issue. I take it as them simply making sure that I am doing ok working with 7 guys. The fact is that I am probably doing better with 7 guys around than I would have with 7 girls around. It's not that I don't like girls but I think men are easier to work with. Them being boys doesn't affect my ability to work at all. Even if they all looked like Brad Pitt or David Beckham I would probably adjust quite quickly and be able to oversee that fact (if my colleagues read this, you are all much hotter than David Beckham).
In a work environment you know you will always have something in common with the other people, the job itself which means that even though they might not understand period pains or removing nail polish I know that we have something to talk about. I've ended up in a group of people where everyone plays World of War Craft apart from me, because I'm a girl of course, but I have actually bonded with them over other things that we have in common. Yes, they have already set me up with one of the guys in the team but the fact that we can joke about me being a girl surrounded by guys make me feel extremely comfortable.
I have not even once felt that they doubt my ability of doing my job well because I work hard and do my best, even when I am secretly being annoyed that I didn't have time to straighten my hair in the morning or that my nail polish is chaffed off already. Yes, you all realise how silly this sound which just shows that being a girl in a male-dominated job is really not as hard as people would think.
So how can we encourage girls to get involved in manly jobs? Well, we can start off with trying to get them to realise that they have nothing to fear because they will be just as good at doing the job, if not better. Being a girl sometimes gives you an upper hand in these situations even though we hate to admit it because people will look at you and admire you for daring to follow your own path.
You don't have to like the same things as everyone in the office which just means that it really doesn't matter if you are a man or a woman because there will always be someone you can talk to.
You being a girl doesn't make you bad at techie stuff, that's just something the society has told us but someone has to start to tell the society that it is wrong and I really enjoy being that person.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f