Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Reflections of a one year old graduate

A bit more than a year ago I was wearing a cape and a strange hat whilst celebrating the end of university. That was a day filled with excitement, pride and happiness. 3 years of hard work had finally come to an end. However, these feelings wear off quickly because the day after you wake up with the truth; you're unemployed. Due to the unsuccessful job hunt I decided to expand my horizon and do a Masters too, because more education should be able to get me a job no? Well it kind of did since I am not unemployed but the Masters made me realise many things about my previous degree.
First of all I came to understand that it doesn't matter how well you do in University if you don't actually go out that and get the experience. Everyone can pass an exam but not everyone can do something that affects other people. I've always had the ambition of making the world a better place and the only way to do this is to actually make the first move and attempt to influence others. If I've changed one person's view then I have succeeded.
Secondly, sometimes it's not me, it's them. What I mean with that is that sometimes we end up in situations where other people can do things that affect your outcome. When this happens it is important to analyse whether it is your fault or theirs. If it's your fault, change what you are doing! This might mean that you have to actually ask for help and admit that you are struggling. If it's them you have to options, either adapt to them or explain to them that their behavior is effecting the outcome badly and there needs to be something done about it. When doing this, though, you have to come with suggestions how to improve this because other it's not constructive feedback, it's criticism which no one likes.
Thirdly, always attempt to improve. When you get results back, don't just settle for it. Ask how to do it better. By doing this I managed to go from 55% at one presentation to 87% in another one, simply because I asked my lecturer what I could do better. We get feedback to learn from it, not as proof that the lecturer has marked you fairly. If you stop trying and not making an effort to become better you will be stuck in life and that doesn't give you any ground for being able to pay back your student loan that is very likely to be causing some sleepless nights.
Fourthly, speaking of sleepless nights; there is no shame in having a good night's sleep. Yes, as a student that often means being called boring but believe me, you will appreciate it when you are working full time and need to worry about tax and other grown-up stuff.
Last of all, being a grown-up is not as easy as it looks. It comes with responsibilities that you would never consider when you are a student. Not only that, other people expect you to behave like a grown-up. You can't get away with watching TV until 3 in the night or get ridiculously drunk because your boyfriend broke up with you because your boss will notice if you don't come in to work the day after. In uni no one could care less but at work, you'll risk getting fired. But don't get me wrong, being an adult is great. Just remember to enjoy the little time you have to actually live your life carefree because it will be over sooner than you think.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f