Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Observations of a recruiter

So the day has come when I have got myself a proper adult job. Ok, this actually happened a few weeks ago but I've been dealing with my dissertation and a new job so I had to put this post on hold. But yes, I am now a recruitment consultant for a small company in Manchester and by looking at CV's all day long and receiving applications I have already learnt a few things about people looking for jobs (and believe me, I recognize myself in many of them). Therefore I'm now going to share some of my knowledge and maybe some advice, not because I am an expert (far from) but because I have made the same mistakes and am now learning how not to do things.

1. Keep your CV updated
No one wants to see what you did 10 years ago if this isn't what you are still doing or if it is specifically relevant to the job you're applying to. I can only speak for myself but if you send a CV where you've been working on a contract since 2003 I would be slightly confused and probably just ignore the CV if it isn't exceptionally good because no contract lasts 12 years. 
2. Don't apply for jobs you are under qualified for
There is no point of wasting time to apply for jobs that require years of experience within a particular field if you haven't done anything within that field. Your CV will just be deleted and you'll have an annoyed recruiter instead of someone that is happy to help you find a job.
3. Be enthusiastic 
When talking to someone about a potential job it is important that you make it sound like you care about the position, you might not actually think it's your dream job but treat it as if it was. There is no point you even applying for a job if you won't seem keen on getting it because no one wants to hire a person that doesn't care because you know that the person's heart won't be in it.
4. Don't sound desperate 
You have no reason to sell yourself short when applying for a job and when you sound desperate you come across as someone who will take any job for whatever salary they are willing to give you. It doesn't matter how much you need a job or an income, if you are willing to take any job the employer will know that you will move on to the next job that offers better pay.
5. Sell yourself
When going on an interview or writing a cover letter, make sure you tell them why the skills you have are relevant for the job. A generic answer isn't going to be remembered but if you refer to an original story at least they'll look at your cover letter twice.
6. Read up on the company
When going to an interview you need to know who is interviewing you. If you don't know anything about the company, how will you know you are the right person to work for this company? It gives you an upperhand because you know what you are talking about and you can twist your answers in the direction you would think they want.
7. Dress to impress
During an interview you need to look good. I'm not saying you should dress in your finest suit but do some research on how people are dressed in the office. If they wear jeans and a shirt it is ok for you to show up like that. However, it might be good to overdress just a little bit to make sure you don't come across as lazy or sloppy dressed.
8. Most of all, be yourself
It's important they hire you for who you are. If you are not yourself then you risk feeling extremely uncomfortable at the company or them being surprised that you suddenly are showing sides that you didn't show at the interview. As mentioned before, you need to sell yourself and your personality is your greatest asset.


Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f