Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Assessment days and not being pretty enough

A couple of weeks ago I went to a assessment day for a job I didn't particularly want but I thought that it might be good to get the experience. This company that hosted the day (let's not mention names) asked me if I was able to go down to London and as a keen applicant I agreed. One of the few reasons why I agreed was because I had to go through 2 phone interviews and they seemed super keen on having me there even though it was very obvious this was a fake excitement. Regardless, I went down to London before the sun was even up just to give this place a chance.
When arriving to the office I did everything according to the books. I smiled, was polite, took initiative and showed them that I am clearly the right person for them. The assessment day went on as I had expected due to all my coaching and reading reviews online. It was all going well until the presentation I had prepared. Even though I shared everything I wanted with them I realised that it didn't matter how well I was doing because when I walked in to the presentation room I could already see that they had made up their mind. I did not have the particular look they were looking for which became obvious when we saw which people they had chosen for the position. I am not saying I was better than the chosen people but one of them even admitted that she didn't have answers to their questions and felt like she was rambling during the presentation.
This made me realise that even if the company would offer me a job I am not sure it is the kind of company I would like to work for. I mean, I'm sure they are great at what they do and have a lot to offer but working for someone that would judge me on my looks and not my brains would feel like being on Tinder, if I don't have the right make-up on they would swipe me left in a second without even reading my biography.
So as you can figure out I didn't get the job but I received feedback which was positive. It was great being told that I was articulate, a good team player, participated and took initiative and even showed some humor. However, it was more upsetting to hear that they didn't feel that I showed my personality even though all the traits mentioned above would be personality traits. This particular point made me feel a bit taken back because I'm usually told that I am a bubbly and happy person that always shows who I am.
After dealing with this set back I came to the conclusion that for future interviews I am not going to hold back at all. If they want personality they'll get the whole package. I will be smiley and bubbly at the same time as I'll be professional. However, in some industries this won't help because we live in a shallow world where apparently looks is more important than what I have inside my, apparently not pretty enough, head.
As much as I got upset by the fact that I am still unemployed it upsets me more that some companies will only hire me if I look the way they expect not because I have a brain. So in the end this assessment day taught me something; It doesn't matter how smart you are, if you show enough skin and are pretty enough then it will be easier for you to get a job, especially in sales.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f