Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

When fame gets to our heads

I have been blessed with a somewhat normal life. My parents aren't famous, my family doesn't have some sort of gigantic bank account and I haven't achieved any kind of fame or success as many people would call it. This has made it possible for me to grow up and live my life without having everything handed to me. I've also had the opportunity to learn that sometimes life isn't always about fame as some people seem to think. This was something I recently stumbled upon when my mother was trying to arrange an event for an organisation that gives scholarships to girls and help out at the Jewish old age home. During this they had asked Beppe (a Swedish presenter for a kids TV program) to perform. Not only is he jewish and this is a jewish organisation but he is also related to one of the people organising the event. These two factors together should be incentive enough to anyone to show that he cares about charity work and helping out. Not only to please his family and community but to actually behave like a good person and be a good role model to children as he is getting his income from entertaining children. However, he decided to drop out because he got offered a paid job. I'm not in the position to say that he can afford skipping one paid job but from the looks of it, he has enough jobs at the moment to be able to do one charity event.
As a person who has a future career in media even I can understand that dropping out from a charity event for a paid job looks bad in everyone's eyes and the brand a famous person is aiming to build around his name will quickly get destroyed when the society sees that he is not trustworthy and unreliable. In some jobs within media you would get fired if you were late so you can imagine how bad it looks to drop out 2 weeks in advance as Beppe did.
This is not the only example I could give you when it comes to celebrities choosing money and fame over actually being a good person and this is something that has bothered me for a while now. We tend to think that money and fame is going to make us happy, as if it was some kind of serotonin we get implanted if we become rich and famous. I don't speak from experience but I think the fact that some of the most famous people in the world have drug issues, suffer from depression etc is proof enough that it is not how it works.
Celebrities often get the question how their lives changes when they become famous and they say that they are still the same person. We all know that is a lie. I'm not saying their lives have changed in a negative way but everything we do in life changes us and so does fame. The fact that they are claiming that they are still the same person shows that they are trying hard to show the world that fame hasn't changed them but if that was the case they wouldn't have to defend themselves. Their behavior would speak for itself.
Famous people are often looked up to as if they were special in some sort of great way. Some of them might be but if you think about it, they are only famous because we acknowledge them and due to this many of them actually become bad role models that we look up to. We let them reach a point where we won't even notice if they stop caring about other people since they are fantastic in our eyes and obviously have no flaws. As we can see in Beppe's case, this isn't true and they might in fact have more flaws when it comes to prioritising what's important in life. But who am I to talk, I'm just a girl who tries to help out whenever I can so I clearly don't know what succeeding in life means.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f