Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

52 books in 52 weeks

We live in a society where reading is often considered as a geeky thing to do. Kids that read a lot get called bad words in school, adults that read are considered antisocial and yet there are so many people out there blogging, writing books etc.  Some people write for themselves but believe me, many of the writers do it because they want others to read it. So if we write things for others to read, why is it considered geeky to read? Honestly, I have no answer to this because in my opinion reading is a way to use your imagination and put yourself in someone else's place. It develops our skills of understanding and expands our vocabulary.
Yes, it is true that Kindle and iPads have made reading a bit 'cooler' but it is still not encouraged as much as I believe it should be. This has led to me trying to read more with the hope that some people might be inspired by it or at least I'll have many books to recommend.
So what am I doing? I'm attempting to read 52 books in 52 weeks. It's not impossible and it's definitely not overambitious as some people have told me. The amount of time we spend infront of a computer everyday can be used for reading instead. We are way too obsessed with computers and sitting infront of a screen so what better way to get some distance than reading.
How do I think this will help me?
First of all, I'll read more. Reading is something I love and it helps me relax. By doing this I will have to take time off for myself and close myself off from the outside world for a bit. I'm not trying to isolate myself but I'm trying to set some time off for 'me' which I think everyone should do sometimes.
I have no scientific proof of it helping people to develop their creativity but I believe that the more you read the more vivid imagination you can have. By being able to take different themes from different books I might be able to develop my own story and be more creative which is important in media, which I want to work with.
I'll learn a lot by reading. Partly because some of the books will reflect real stories but I'll also be able to learn from the fictional books. Many fictional books teach you how to deal with real life situations and hopefully they can teach me that too.

As you might have realised already we're already 2 weeks in of the year and so far I've read Lord of the Rings and The Five people you meet in heaven. Both which I have enjoyed and will probably write reviews on in the near future. Currently I'm reading the Hobbit which I'm extremely excited about.
I'll update you on the list from time to time and hopefully you'll be inspired to read the books I've read or recommend me other books.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f