Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Lets talk about depression.

I've mentioned in previous posts that I am depressed, something that took me a long time to admit to myself but also to other people. I long thought this was something that affected only me since no one had to deal with my problems and when I was depressed I closed my door and dealt with the issues by myself. Recently though I have come to the realisation that this isn't the case. My depression affects the people around me and I let other people play too much of a part of my happiness.
I'm not saying my friends aren't important in my life and that I don't have them to thank for some of my happiness. What I'm saying is that I shouldn't rely on them to be happy, which is something I've done my whole life and probably would have continued to do if it wasn't for a huge wake up call.
There wasn't any particular thing happening to me that made me realise it, I simply came to the conclusion that I have been blaming the wrong thing for years; other people.
It is very easy to put the blame on someone else. You can claim that you're depressed because something has happened in your life. It's probably true that something has caused you to feel the way you do but in the end, that's not the issue. The issue is that you don't feel secure with yourself and therefore can't handle unexpected feelings that you might get. In this situation you have to choices.
1) You can keep blaming other people and live your life being happy by having other people providing you that happiness.
2) Realise that the people around you aren't the issue, neither are you but you have to work on your confidence and how you deal with problems. That way you can be happy by yourself and the people around you will be a source for extra happiness.

The biggest issue in the world, in my opinion, is our constant need to be validated from the outside. We all know that's the case but we don't actually do anything about it. I can admit that it is probably my biggest issue. If I don't get validated by an external source I feel like I'm not worth anything and this triggers my depression. This is something I need to work on before I actually deserve validation from someone else.

So with depression it's easy to blame other people when in fact there's no one to blame. It might sound unfair, it did to me at least, but the only thing you can do is except the fact that someone or something might bring out a feeling you have. This isn't that person's fault and if you don't work on it someone else will bring out that feeling again. It's not easy but nothing in life is really. As cliché as it sounds you need to love yourself before you can love someone else but that also counts for happiness. If you can't be happy by yourself, you are not ready to be happy with anyone else and we therefore need to learn to deal with our issues instead of pushing them under the carpet.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f