Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

The problem with living in a lie.

As a child our parents teach us to be honest. We are told that the truth always comes out in the end so we do as our parents say, we speak our mind. We have no issues to ask why someone is different from us or maybe look different because we are just following instructions, we're being honest.
But as we grow up we are told that we can't ask these things. Our parents tell us that there is a time and place to say things and they teach us to not say what is on our minds. We become quiet. We become people that are too afraid to ask questions to be able to learn anything about anyone who might not be as us.
Then we become adults and we are told that a white lie never hurts. If it will make the other person feel good there is nothing wrong with lying a bit. In fact, it's not really lying, it's twisting the truth. If that wasn't enough we are taught by the society that not being honest can take you further than if you do what you were taught as a child. We lie about how experienced we are, we lie about what we think about other people and worst of all we lie about how we feel. But it's all ok, even politicians lie and they are the ones ruling the world so it must be ok, no?
We become people that aren't just too afraid to ask but we're also too afraid to even think for ourselves.
As adults we think that the truth will hurt and therefore try to protect other people from it even if that would mean making up something just to make them feel better about themselves. But thinking about it, we don't lie to make other people feel better about themselves, we lie because we want to feel better about ourselves. No one wants to be the one telling someone they look fat in that dress or that their boyfriend is cheating on them. No one wants to be the bad guy and telling the truth is apparently what makes us bad.
It makes me wonder why we are taught that honesty lasts longer if that's not what we actually believe. Even as adults we pretend that lying is bad and say things like "If you never tell a lie you never have to remember what you've said". As much as this is true it is clearly just a saying and no one will actually get inspired to tell the truth.
The issue is, we all lie. If you say you don't you are very likely to be lying once again which just proves my point. It doesn't matter if it is a white lie or just you simply making stuff up because you feel like it, you still tell someone something that isn't true with the hope that the person never will find out. Since we all do it we seem to think it's ok. The thing is that in the end, someone will find out the truth about it and confront you which would make the lie even worse. You might think that you are doing other people a favour by not telling the truth but what you are doing is going against everything you try to teach children. If we all stopped pretending like a lie is something natural. I might be completely wrong but I have a feeling that children's behaviour is a lot more natural than what the society teaches us and therefore the natural thing would be to be honest. But even though we know this we keep telling lies, we keep making up things to make us sound better and we keep making up excuses for it when in fact we're all living Pinocchios, lying to ourselves.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f