Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

A place doesn't have a memory, we do.

I've moved a lot. Within the last 4 years I've probably lived in more that 10 different places. This has led to me having to learn that becoming attached to a place is not a good idea and it is important to learn how to deal with people in different places. I've also learnt that if I don't like it in one place I'll always have the option to go somewhere else. This was something that gave me comfort when I felt that every place I went had some kind of memory that I wanted to avoid. However, this time I moved deciding that I needed a fresh start. By moving to a new city I would be able to start all over again and leave my past behind.
I was wrong. I quickly realised that it was impossible to leave your past behind.
We have a tendency to hang on to our memories and find the smallest thing to remind us about it. This means that we can't escape from our past, we need to accept it and move on focusing on the future. Sometimes our past can scare our presence which makes us believe that we shouldn't be doing something because we've done it before and it hasn't worked out. One example of this is falling in love. Once we've gotten our heart broken once we are scared of falling again but we still do. We might be more careful since our memory is telling us not to make the same mistake again but it won't stop us from falling. Another example is fighting with a family member or a friend. We know that there is no point picking a fight about something but we still do it. In this case our memory doesn't only tell us that we've picked that fight before but it also reminds us that things will go back to normal afterwards and we are therefore not as cautious about this.
I've met many people in my life that are attached to the place they live. They wouldn't consider to move for anything in the world. To me that is not even an option. I go where life takes me. By living with that attitude I've had the pleasure of living in 3 countries and get to know people from many different backgrounds and cultures. It makes me more open to meeting new people but it also makes me realise that people come and go in my life and so do I in other people's lives. That doesn't mean I don't want to keep in touch with these people, it just means I'm moving on in my life and going to a place where I have more possibility to develop.
Since I've moved a lot you might wonder how I actually can feel at home. The truth is, I don't really feel at home anywhere. There is yet to come a place where I feel that I want to stay, where I can grow as a person, develop relationships with other people and feel like I don't want to leave. There is a possibility I will never find that place but I know that the search for that place will teach me things about others but mostly about myself. I will create memories that I want to take with me and memories that I want to leave behind but the place will never keep the memory because in the end it's not a place doesn't have a memory, I do.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f