Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Bring back our boys

A little bit over a week ago 3 innocent boys where kidnapped in Israel. Some might say they were on occupied territory, some might say they were in Israel. To me it doesn't matter. These boys had not harmed anyone. They were simply trying to get to somewhere by doing what they usually do, hitch-hike, when they got taken away without anyone knowing where they are. 3 mothers, 3 fathers are waiting for their sons to return. They are going everyday without knowing if their sons are alive. Personally, I can't imagine that feeling. I don't think anyone can but there is one feeling I can have about the situation and that feeling is frustration.
As a Jew I very often have to defend Israel. People often ask me if I agree with Israel killing innocent people and if I think it's ok for Jews to live on the West Bank. I usually answer them with my opinion because I'm not afraid to say what I stand for but in this situation my opinion about what Israel does doesn't matter. The thing that matters is that these boys are people, just like you and me. They happened to be born in a country where there is a constant conflict but that doesn't give anyone the right to take them away for their family and friends. I think people that have opinions about the conflict here in Israel tend to forget that when they are picking sides they are actually choosing whose life is worth more. I don't believe they are doing this on purpose but in many cases by supporting one side you forget the innocent victims on the other side.
So when people ask be if I'm pro-Israel I answer yes but I also quickly add that I'm pro-Palestinian too. I believe that they should have their own state. In some kind of dream world I wish we could live side by side even though I know it's impossible the way it is at the moment. But I can't actually say I'm taking Israel's or Palestinian's side. The only side I can take is the innocent people. The innocent people like Gil-ad, Naftali and Eyal that have done nothing that gives anyone the right to kidnap them. 
I'm not pointing my finger to anyone because who am I to blame other people but these situations happen often in Israel. We were lucky enough to see the return of Gilad Shalit, after being kidnapped for years he got to return to his family alive. But people forget this, it's easy to only see one side. Israel is killing innocent people, Israel is building houses on occupied land, Israel is doing this and Israel is doing that. Yes, it's true. Israel has done those things, I'm not even going to pretend they haven't but that still doesn't make it right to take it out on innocent Israelis and it makes me extremely frustrated that some people defend this action because of something Israel has done. We need to remember that the people in the country can't be held responsible for what is going on in the country. In war innocent people die unfortunately and I feel for both sides. The difference here though is that the people that have kidnapped these boys are not doing it accidentally, their aim is to hurt people both physically and mentally. It makes it easy for me to point fingers and say I'm proud to support Israel. Why? Because Israel doesn't kidnap 3 innocent boys for no reason. No, Israel comes together to pray for these 3 boys to return safely to their parents and I am joining in. I am praying that they will Bring Back our Boys and I think you should do the same. 

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f