Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Society failing part 3

Dear society,

Yes, I'm talking to you there with the white fair skin that burns in the sun. Yes, I'm talking to you that get tanned by just someone mentioning the sun. Yes, I'm also talking to you with dark skin that also gets attacked because of something you were born with. We have a problem.
Yesterday some people decided that they don't like jews and because of this they went to the only jewish school in Stockholm and painted antisemitic propaganda on the school walls and this morning kids had to come to a place where they are suppose the be safe and see how there are people out there that don't respect them for who they are. I'm not talking about adults here having a discussion, I'm talking about kids aged 13-15 being exposed to the cruelty of people that clearly don't have enough common sense to keep their respectless thoughts to themselves and even if they feel they have the need to express their opinions they have to do it in a way that doesn't take them anywhere. You would think that in a country where we now-a-days are fighting so much for equality that we have gender neutral changing rooms and a word that is neither he or she, we would also be respecting people for their religion, ethnicity and right to go to school and feel safe but it seems like that isn't the case.
It's not the first time a child is exposed for antisemitic propaganda. Personally I had to find it painted on my house wall and carved in to my car even though that is the place I should feel the safest. I had friends being called names because of their religion and the constant need to defend yourself every time something happened to other jews.
Now this is happening to a school where jewish kids already often feel different walking around in the corridor with a hebrew book whilst the non-jewish classes are wondering who these people are that eat in their own canteen. I'm not saying these kids feel uncomfortable because of this but it is the feeling of always being different that makes it horrible to see that this hatred seem to happen repeatedly and the society seem to close their eyes to it.
Nothing is wrong, we all accept each other. As a Swedish Jew living in England I often get the question "why did you leave Sweden, it's such a great country". Let me tell you something, it isn't and I think this is the proof that I'm right. Being Jewish in Sweden is a constant battle against anti semites, racists, pro-palestinians, atheists and the list goes on and on. It's the battle of always trying to come up with a good argument for why I'm jewish apart from the fact that it's how I've been raised.
It seems like the children are growing up in a society where it is more important to think that a boy can wear pink than thinking that people have the right to live their lives according to their religions, faiths, political ideology or after the snail in my backyard as long as it doesn't harm anyone else.
But how can we let it go this far? Maybe we actually need to go back to the root of the problem which in my opinion is lack of understanding. We still grow up being taught about religion in the way that it seems like we are all a group of weirdos performing strange rituals like throwing goats of a cliff, as it said in one religious studies book. There is a lack of respect for anything that is different than the 'normal Swede' and we seem to be afraid to deal with it.
So yes society, we have a problem and the problem is you. The problem is you letting people close their eyes to reality and think everything is ok. The problem is you not dealing with the Swedish National Party growing bigger. The problem is you not realising there are bigger problems in the world that need to be sorted out before we can move on and deal with smaller problems. But most of all, the problem is you not realising that this happening is the proof that we can aim to be an equal country but until people stop hating and abusing everything that is slightly different from what they know, we will actually never become the Sweden you think we are.

More information about what happened in Sweden today

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4497373,00.html

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f