Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Society failing part 2.

You, me and every adult you see in the world has been a child. We've grown up learning how to walk, talk and so on. We learnt it in different speed but that doesn't say anything about us, we are not defined by how quickly we learn this since we later on in life learn other things that changes our view of the world. What I've noticed recently though when my mind has moved on from being a child to an adult is how quickly the children grow up now-a-days. 5 year olds wear make-up. 12 year olds are talking about sex, drugs and rock n' roll and 15 year olds are having kids. This is not really new to me but it has recently started to scare me.
During a lecture we were put in the situation where we had to discuss how ethical some charity adverts were. Is it ok for organisations such as PETA to have these campaigns going on in public?

My immediate answer was no. This should not be seen by everyone. Some of my coursemates tended to disagree though. They thought that a child has to be exposed to the truth in the world because if they don't they will grow up being naive, close-minded and ignorant to what is going on in the world. As you might have realised already, I disagree.
I can't say I grew up in a protected world where I knew nothing about the cruelty in the world. As a grandchild to 3 holocaust survivors I was aware of the horrible things that could happen even when I was a young child. Then I didn't understand it so there wasn't a point to question it. I simply accepted that there are mean people out there and there is nothing I can do to change it. So I accepted that and moved on. When I got older I learnt that there are things we can do in the world to make it better so I started doing as much as I could but I quickly realised that it was a dead end too. One person's action is simply never enough. This, however, had nothing to do with me being sheltered from the world as a child or not. It had to do with what I learnt when I grew up.
Kids that are exposed to the world and the cruelty won't be more open-minded necessarily. It might have the opposite affect on them. If you think you are older then you are you will never experience the things people your age is doing. There is a risk for you missing out on important stages in your life. When a 15 year old girl has a child because she's been exposed to sex from a young age and therefore think she's mature enough for it, she'll miss out of being a teenager and going to school like a normal child. If a 12 year old starts thinking about alcohol, drugs and partying, he or she won't learn what it means becoming a teenager and learning what it means with having your body and mind change.
We need to stop exposing children to things they don't need to know about or can do anything about. There is a time and a place for everything and yes, we all grow up at different speed and are ready to understand the world from a grown-up perspective at different times but that is happening way too early.
Society keeps failing to take care of its' citizens. Instead of rushing our kids into the cruelty of the world, let them believe in peace and an idyllic world where we all love each other because sooner or later they'll experience something that will make them change their mind. When that happens they will question their former opinion and learn how the world actually looks like and that life isn't fair. In the end, it's because of us adults that the world is falling apart because if we stopped teaching our kids about cruelty and hatred, the world would probably be a better place...even if that sounds cheesy.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f