Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Society failing...again.

Yesterday the news of Philip Seymour Hoffman dying because of drug overdose hit the media. A 46 year old man, with probably half his life left to live, died because of the same reason as Amy Winehouse, Cory Monteith and many other talented people have before him. As sad as it is, him dying is not what upsets me the most. What upsets me is the fact that this seem to happen over and over again but no one seems to try to change it. There are clearly something wrong with the society if we let this happen and instead of educating people of how bad drugs are, we write about how sad it is that this great actor has died. Don't get me wrong, it is sad but we don't seem to be told that he died because he was doing something he wasn't suppose to do.
We've seen it so many times before in the entertainment industry, (I can't say this is what happened this time but I am going to speculate anyways) people can't handle the pressure of fame, working and handling their personal life at the same time and therefore try to find some kind of comfort in drugs. Let me tell you a secret, drugs don't solve any problems. It creates more problems. Maybe it's time for the entertainment business to actually do something about this.
All jobs are hard to handle when there are a lot of things to get done but being famous adds to this pressure. The whole world is observing them and we seem to think we know everything about these people so we will never leave them alone. But clearly we don't and if we don't leave them alone why can't we actually care about them enough to realise they also deserve some privacy?
One thing that makes me wonder how this could happen is that these people seem to have people around them all the time but no one notices that they have a problem. Then there is clearly a problem in society. We tend to overlook all the problems that come with fame and fortune. Drugs for example.
I think it's time that we actually try to change the view on famous people dying because of drug overdose. Yes, it is sad. Yes, he was a great actor. Yes, we can't blame him because it is a problem that he should have gotten help for. and Yes, the society need to do something to get people to realise that it is not ok.
Drugs are not good for you in any way. I know there are arguments for weed being good for you in small doses but that's how it starts. You try one drug and then you move on to the next. I'm not saying I know but I've met enough people and read enough articles to know that it starts out that way.
When someone under pressure starts taking drugs he is not the one to solely blame but it is also his fault because other people manage to resist but he doesn't. But we need to blame the people around him, the society, the entertainment business, ourselves. I'm not trying to make you blame yourself for someone's death but maybe think it through. Why do we let people's misery go that far? There is no reason for taking drugs because there is other help out there.
The media needs to stop glorifying celebrities' deaths because if they continue doing that it will still seem like it's acceptable to take drugs when you are stressed and for the people around just to stand there and ignore the problem. Society seems to fail over and over again and I'm starting to get tired of it. I think this is my wake-up call and maybe yours too. The problem here isn't that Philip Seymour Hoffman is dead and that Hollywood has lost a great actor. The problem here is drugs and if anything needs to go away it should be it!

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f