Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Competition or support?

If you didn't know it already, I am getting extremely close to the end of my long road of education. After 12 years of school and 3 years of University I am going to get to put on a black cape and a strange hat to pretend I am in a Harry Potter film for a few hours. This might seem like a relief, and believe me it is, but it is also terrifying. I am now suppose to grow up, get a job, figure out what I want in life and achieve it.
But that is not the purpose of this post because I think we all know how students feel about the question "so what are you going to do after university?".
By getting closer to graduation me and probably a lot of my friends have started to experience the competitive side of your coursemates. Suddenly the topic on everyone's lips has gone from 'what results you get on your exams' to 'who's got the interview with the company they all applied to work for'. This has come to the stage when your previous coursemates are becoming your enemies. When you get offered that internship they don't say congratulations and smile. They say congratulations and then you can see their brain burning out wondering why they didn't get offered the job instead of you.
This is something I've struggled with myself, how am I going to be happy about someone else getting a job that I wanted. So recently I've been re-evaluating myself and I've discovered a few things.
1. If someone gets a job, that means one less person applying for the next job and who knows, it might be even better than the first one.
2. When someone else has gotten a job there is nothing you can do about it so you might as well be happy for them because in this case they happened to be better for the job.
3. Just because someone else got the job you really wanted doesn't mean they are cleverer than you, funnier than you or better than you in any way. It simply means they impressed someone better than you. Instead of being grumpy about it, why not think back on your interview and consider what you could have done differently. Job interviews are as hard as exams in university, you need to practice to do well.
4. Don't see it as competition with your friends, support them. Wish them good luck on their interview because if you're nice to them maybe they'll be nice to you and come back and tell you exactly what they asked and that way you will be prepared. Use it as an opportunity to get help from someone who has already landed a job.
And last but not least,
5. Don't stop believing that you can do it. As often as you might doubt yourself there is no need to freak out for no reason. If your coursemates manage to get a job, so can you!

As cliché as this all sounds it might actually help you not to give your coursemate that disappointed look when they get a job because in the end, they are your friends and that is more important that the job that you didn't get.



Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f