Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Thanksgivukkah

This year jews around the world (mostly in America) will experience something that only will happen once in our life, thanksgiving will be at the same time as Chanukkah. For me this won't change anything, I will still light my chanukkah candles and give my gifts away and then move on with my life enjoying the atmosphere of friends and family getting together just to relax.
One thing that has struck me is how people seem to be obsessed with this coincidence and they have therefore invented a new name for it: Thanksgivukkah. It seems like they've invented a new holiday and are trying to combine these two holidays into one and make the traditions work together but personally I really don't believe they go together if you don't realise what it is that we're actually celebrating and combine them in a valuable way.

For me Chanukkah is the holiday when kids get their gifts and compete with each other who got the best gift, even if this is not the purpose of the holiday it is how kids see it. Thanksgiving is the complete opposite. Even though I've never properly celebrated Thanksgiving I have the understanding that it is a holiday where families get together and tell each other what they're thankful for. Yes, the holiday is based around a huge meal which means that there are people in the world that won't be able to be thankful for the same things but it is still a chance to stop and think about what really matters to you.
But how is it going to work this year then? I am picturing a jewish family sitting in their house somewhere in America, with their turkey on the table, chanukkiah in the window and kids running around. Straight after the meal the children open their Chanukkah gifts and one of the kids gets a disappointed smile on his face, this year he didn't get the new iPhone that he really wanted. It takes away the purpose of the holiday.
We celebrate Thanksgiving to be thankful for what we have but then we are also celebrating the holiday that jewish kids see as their Christmas.
I think it is important to actually think about why these two holidays can be celebrated together and how we can find a meaning to it . My idea is to celebrate them separately but try to remember the values of the different holidays. So this year, celebrate Thanksgiving, be thankful for what you have and the people around you but don't forget that thought when you move on to open your presents afterwards. Remember that there is more to life than the things you own, it's about the values you have. Be thankful for the Maccabees fighting for your right to be Jewish and have these traditions that has been with us for generations because if you end up forgetting this then there's no point in celebrating Thanksgiving at all. Be thankful for even the smallest thing in life because the same way as just a tiny jug of oil could last for a long time, the smallest things in life are the things that you will take with you and will give you something to be thankful for.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f