Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Hypocritical Me

We live in a world where we are constantly told what to think, say and do. Social media feeds us opinions that creates a world where we don't have to make up our minds or even be able to explain why we have our certain opinions. I can't seem to go one single day without seeing a post on Facebook or Twitter about moral issues such as vegetarianism, religion, feminism, peace in the middle east or gay rights. It's turned into a machine that thinks for me and tries to push these ideologies on to me without me even realising that what I'm doing is being a sheep, following the herd. This has created a problem, we all have opinions about everything but they are not our own opinions.
As a woman who believe in equal rights but isn't one of those women that keep a poster of Rosie the Riveter in my room, I often get the need to say that I am not a feminist. But then again, I believe in equal rights which pretty much makes me a feminist so why don't I speak up? Why don't I stand on the town square with signs demanding equal rights? There is one simple answer to this, laziness. I simply have no power to express my belief in equal rights because I know someone else will do that for me and when they do, I will stand there and think that these women are being extremists and are taking it too far, although they are fighting for me. This is not because I don't appreciate their strength or admire their willpower, it is because I am a victim of the world today. A victim of social media telling me to think this way without understanding why I actually have these opinions.

If you know me the previous statement about myself might surprise you since I am always the one saying that you should stand up for your opinions because here I am, telling you all how much of a hypocrite I am just following the flock. I choose not to take a moral stand even though I know they're actually right. Instead of forming my own opinions about the subject I just assume that what I see on Facebook is the truth and there is no point actually looking in to it. It doesn't matter to how many charities I donate to or how often I swear at the TV when I see something I don't agree with because it won't change a thing. It only means something if I actually take a stand and form my own opinion. But I don't, I just sit there and yell at the news reporter instead. Even though it makes me a hypocrite I'm not ashamed because lets face it, you're probably a hypocrite too. We all are. 
So what should we do then when we are facing these moral dilemmas in our lives and we don't stand a chance to form our own opinions? Well, let me tell you this, your opinion will never be original. There will always be someone else thinking exactly the same thing as you but that doesn't mean you can't form that opinion by yourself and if you know what your opinion is it becomes much easier for you to do something about it. I might be young but I've learnt one thing in life, you can't change everything but there is always something that you can affect and have power over. It might not be groundbreaking but it's a start. So why overthink every single decision you make, if you believe in it it's the right thing to do. (To some extent obviously) But there is one thing you shouldn't do, sit back and watch, because a person that doesn't do anything about his opinions is just a hypocrite and we already have too many of those in the world.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f