Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

10 things about summer

I have been in Liverpool for a few hours now and I am soon to start my 3rd and last year of university. This means one thing, summer is over and I need to get back to reality. As usual this is something I've been looking forward to the last month or so but this time I actually feel that I wouldn't mind having summer for a few more months. Not because I don't miss my friends but because I've made so many new friends that I'm now leaving behind.
This summer has been the best summer I can remember because of many different reasons. I've had a lot of fun, learnt a lot, got many new friends and enjoyed almost every minute of it.
The summer started with an internship for MDA's office in Tel Aviv. I had no expectations at all since my internships I've had before had been kind of crap and I started without having any idea what I was going to do. I quickly learnt that if I was persuasive enough they were willing to accept my ideas but I also had to work for them which brings me to the first point.
1. If you want to achieve something, you have to do it by yourself because no one else is going to do it for you.
I also got to experience to work in an office together with people that I didn't know from before and that I could leave when I left the office but I noticed that even when I left the office these people were my friends and I wanted to get to know them. Even though some of the things I did during my internship wasn't fun I still wanted to come to the office. This is something I never experienced before and it showed me the second thing.
2. You can enjoy your job if the people around you are people you care about and they care about you. 

After a month of interning I was headed to my 2nd MDA course. This course involved learning how to put in IV's, deliver babies and a lot more medical knowledge than the previous course I did. This time I found myself in a room where the majority of people where studying pre-med or were about to start and this time I didn't know anyone of them. I had to study extra hard to understand the anatomy and I had to face the fear of putting a needle into someone but I decided to live after Nike's slogan "Just do it". Having to do something I was really scared of but at the same time really excited to learn taught me
3. Sometimes the things that are scary are the things that gives you the most pleasure once you've done it. 


After a week of hard work we finally finished the course and I ended up being in top of the class even though I thought I failed the test. I realised that going around thinking I failed was pure stupidity because it only made me worry about something I couldn't change.
4. Sometimes the underdog can succeed so don't underestimate your ability to achieve something you want. 
The summer continued with volunteering and this time I could do more and I also dared to do more. This wasn't challenging because I was afraid of not knowing what to do but it was challenging because I had to work hard to even get to put in my first IV since there were other people that wanted to do it too.

5. If you work hard for something you will get a chance to do it so don't just give up. 
After the course I had one week were I managed to squeeze in some more shifts, spending time with my nephew and my sister and helping out instructing. Then I was headed back home. After spending two months in Israel I realised that every time I go there I make more friends that I don't want to leave but I have to. One thing comforts me though, everytime I go back they are waiting for me to come back. It shows that friendship doesn't disappear just because there is a distance.
                                     
6. Together forever, never apart. Maybe in distance but never in heart.

                                          
Once at home I had time to melt all the impressions I got during my time in Israel but I quickly realised that I needed something to do. Which made me take up on the offer of doing an internship at an award winning radio station. I had my interview and I thought everything was decided. I was going to start. However, the board of the company thought differently and it took them 3 weeks to make a decision. During this time I sat at home and went slightly mental. Even though I ran a 10K run and took up knitting I quickly got bored and needed to keep my occupied. It made me miss university even though I 2 months earlier just wanted to leave that place. 

7. Sometimes the things you used to hate become the things you miss the most.
After 3 weeks I finally got to start my internship at Radio1. I had told myself that I wanted to work within TV but getting this experience made me want to work with radio. Everyone in the office where really nice and open to get to know me and teach me knew things. Radio1 share the same floor with 3 other radio channels and even though I only was there for 3 weeks I manage to see how different presenters work differently and how they structure their shows. It didn't matter that I was there a short time because I wanted to learn I was willing to get up at 4 in the morning just to learn more.
8. You can learn things quickly if you put your mind into it and let other people teach you what they know. 
During these 3 weeks I instructed a CPR course for Swedish MDA. This was my own initiative since I wanted to practice and I wanted to use the knowledge I had. I had to put a lot of work into preparing the course since I had to translate the course into Swedish. This made me learn the material even better.

9. It's never wrong to repeat something you already know, it will only make you know it better.
And here I am sitting in my house in Liverpool thinking of the summer I just had. Even though it feels like it was years ago I started my internship in Tel Aviv I still appreciate every single moment of the summer. I've learnt a lot about myself and things that I hope I can remember when I'm having a hard time. I'm now starting my final year in university and even though these pretty red lines are things that everyone should think about they are mostly for me because if I practice as I preach only the sky is the limit. If even that. As cliché as it sounds, you can make most things happen if you realise it's up to you. I had an amazing summer because I worked for it. I have everyone who contributed to it to thank of course but if I never decided to take the first step on board that plane to Israel.

10. Don't say the sky is the limit when there are footsteps on the moon. 


Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f