Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Political correctness

Life isn't fair I've been told repeatedly but at the same time people have taught me to treat everyone the same. "Treat others like you would want to be treated" they have told me and young and naive as I've been I have tried to live like that even though the people around me haven't. I'm that kind of person that do want to help other people and give everyone a chance but sometimes I feel that I should be allowed to think someone's opinion is strange and slightly wrong even though I strongly believe that opinions can't be wrong.
Being political correct is something that seems to be more and more important everyday. We aren't allowed to use any words that could be considered offensive or make a joke that someone might find insulting because we need to make sure that everyone is equal.
But why do we have to make everyone believe we're equal? After all we all know it's not true and being politically correct won't make us any more equal than before it will just make us live in a lie where we make ourselves believe that everything is alright because we say Afro american instead of black or Romanies instead of Gipsies. I'm not saying we should call people names or use these words in a bad way but I don't see anything wrong with using the words for the pure purpose of describing the person's nationality, race or religion. It's not going to change their status in society and the it is definitely not going to take away the racism and hatred people have. It is worse to walk around and deny that there is a problem just because we are using the right words than to actually face the problem but accidentally use a word that might sound discriminating because in the end the reason for why it is discriminating is because people used it in that way. Just take this for example, as a kid we used to play a game in school called Nigger. As a nine-year old kid I had no idea this word was offensive in any way and what it meant, for us it was just a ball game that had nothing to do with being black but we were told that it wasn't appropriate and had to change the name of the game. This just made us intrigued and instead of just letting us call the game that and realise when we were older that this word wasn't a word we should call people we wanted to know what it meant and then had a word we could use to insult each other. Adults put the value in to the word instead of letting us kids be innocent and play our stupid game that wasn't offending anyone. 
Another problem with political correctness is that everyone seems to be their own judge of what's wrong and right. A jew can joke about having big noses but if a non-jew does that it is suddenly not ok anymore. A black person can say "whats up nigger" but if a white person does that you're being racist. This leads to a world where there is no possibility at all to actually be politically correct because whatever you say might be offending someone. 
So why should we have to think about it all the time? Instead of having to use the right definitions of everything and make sure we're not using an offensive word we should learn to find a positive meaning to the words and use them at the right time instead of just assuming that someone is saying these words to offend someone. We also need to accept the fact that this obsession of being politically correct doesn't change the world even though we are made to believe that it does. We just have to bite the bullet and accept the fact that, as much as we wish it was, life isn't fair and there is nothing we can do about it. 

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f