Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

End of a chapter

I started this summer not knowing what I was getting myself into. I was prepared for a summer doing an internship where I could come and go as I wanted and once I was done with the internship I was going to move on to my next project and leave the internship behind and barely look back, like I did with my internship last summer but I soon realised that wasn't what this internship was about. I decided that doing an internship within Magen David Adom's international department would be a good idea since I am a volunteer and MDA is an organisation I care a lot about but I never knew there were so much more to the organisation than the ambulances and blood donations. I quickly realised, by being in their office and discussing important topics about how to make progress within MDA, that there is a lot more I can do as a volunteer than just being in the ambulance. I know it sounds very cliché but it's true, they do need our help and they also want it. The people in the office quickly adapted to having me there giving them new ideas and for once I met people that were willing to take my ideas on board and not just tell me that they don't have time for it. However, they made me work for it and taught me that they were willing to use my ideas if I was willing to work for it. No one made me come to the office everyday but I still did because the atmosphere was nice and they made me want to be there. When I didn't have anything to do they tried to find me something to do so I could feel helpful. Yes, sometimes that meant sorting paperwork out but that needed to be done too and for once people actually said thank you which is all I ask for.
During my time of interning we started a lot of new projects that demands a lot of time from the people in the office but also from me. I realised that is my responsibility to make sure that these projects continue the way I want them to because after all MDA can continue working without them but the projects can improve MDA's way of communicating with volunteers and the public. Even though I thought my university courses sometimes were silly and they didn't really teach me much I felt that I had skills that I could adapt to my internship and by working hard I could also learn a lot of new things.
My summer continued with doing 2 courses, one to be a senior first responder and the second to be an instructor. These courses made me want to do more, not only help ill people but also helping other people to be first aid responders. I've been in university for 2 years but this summer has taught me more than these 2 years together. It has opened up doors and ideas for me that I'm taking with me. Hopefully it will not just be a summer experience but I will be able to start new projects and join old ones wherever life takes me.
Even though I've volunteered many times before this summer has been special. These 2 courses have given me a lot more confidence in patient treatment and my own knowledge. I've pushed myself to learn more about the body, health problem and treatment. I have also experienced many more calls that have been challenging that taught me more about myself than about medicine. I stepped out of my comfort zone and tried things I didn't dare to do before, for example, going to a new station and actually asking questions in the ambulance because this time I was actually keen on learning and not just doing. By just doing that I'm going back home with a feeling that I've done everything I want to do this summer. No, I didn't have a child birth as I've been waiting for since I started volunteering or another successful CPR but I've realised that if I got all the calls I've wanted I wouldn't have anything to look forward to. I've seen people bleed, cry, vomit, scream and collapse but I've also seen people feel better, calm down and smile. This made me realise that life needs both sides. If there are no ups and downs in your life it means you're dead... So this summer has been different. Instead of leaving with the feeling that I could have done more, I could have seen more and I could have learnt more I'm going home with the feeling that I can now do more and it's up to myself to make sure it happens.

I have many people to thank for this summer but if I start mention names this list will be longer than the post itself but I couldn't be happier to have got to know these people, The people in the office, volunteers, drivers, instructors and fellow coursemates, you have all made this summer special to me and I've learnt a lot from all of them. I don't want to go home but I have to. I've learnt many things this summer but the thing I'm most sure of is that I am going to miss all of these people A LOT.

Next time I'll be in Sweden...

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f