Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Putting in IV's, holding vomit bags and pretending to save lives

As many of my readers already have understood I am slightly obsessed with volunteering in ambulances, as described in an earlier post this is not necessarily for the action but for the atmosphere there is in the ambulance. However, these last few weeks have been really intense and I've learnt so much more than I thought I would be able to. After finishing my EMT course I was headed back to the station I knew so well from before but this time with the eagerness of doing more than I've been able to do before, just to see that all I needed was the push to do more challenging things in the ambulance and even dare to go on the MICU. After a few shifts I felt that I was starting to get the hang of it. By "it" I mean carrying a bag much heavier than the one in the normal ambulance (with all medication in), not being the only one to treat the patient in the back and preparing needles, saline and other things for other people. By going on the MICU I thought I was going to get to see so many more interesting calls and the action that was missing in my life would definitely come back but I was wrong. The action that we had in the MICU most of the time were things that weren't that much more exciting than in the normal ambulance. I still had to hold the vomit bag, carry the equipment and stand on the sideline of people saving lives. But as a swedish saying "One who is waiting for something good, never waits too long", my day came too when I got to use my new skills of putting in IV in a patient. All I had to do was ask. As weird as it sounds, putting a needle into the man's arm was the most satisfying feeling I've had in a long time. Not because I enjoy seeing people in pain, I don't, but because I felt that I was making progress in my life and as a person saving lives. In the jungle of new things I had no idea how to do, there was something I could do that I had learnt this year and no one could change that feeling of learning a new thing. For me, this was like a kid who learns to ride the bike. After seeing so many other people doing it, I was now one of them.
But to be honest, between these few calls when I felt that I actually saved lives there were also the occasional  calls with someone with headache, drunk people in the street and hypochondriacs thinking they need an ambulance when in fact the only thing they need is a psychiatrist or someone to explain to them that an ambulance isn't a taxi but I didn't mind them anymore because I realised that these calls gave me a chance to sit back and relax for a bit. No one can handle drama all the time and if every shift was filled with action I would be too exhausted to be able to work everyday. These calls also gave me a chance to ask my questions, try out new things and work on my technique in checking blood pressure quickly and filling out forms in hebrew. I learnt to see every call a chance to develop as an EMT, not because I need to but because I want to. I think that is what defines volunteering.
Tomorrow I'm starting my instructors course. I hope this course is going to help me develop even more in many different ways. The course is going to give me a chance to educate other people how to save lives because after all that is what I've been doing. Sometimes it might feel like I've been pretending and most of the time people would probably have survived without my help or anyones help for that matter but there have also been occasions when me and my team have actually saved someone and that feeling is impossible to describe. Every summer when I come here I make progress and I feel that I still have so much to learn.
Even though I sometimes sit on the station and do nothing or sometimes even sit in the ambulance watching the paramedic inject medication into a patient I know my time will come. I've seen it before and I've got my chances so I don't stop believing that I will have them again. It turns out I have the braveness in me, all I needed was a little push and now when I've got it I don't want to stop. This summer has been the most exciting summer that I can remember and I know that if I continue to be keen on learning and trying to expand my knowledge the summer never has to end and I can keep on getting new kicks in life because even when the kid has learnt to ride a bike he still needs to learn how to do all the tricks.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f