Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Man vs Food in a whole other meaning.

We live in a society where almost every single home has a TV. Now-a-days there aren't just a few TV channels airing a few hours everyday but hundreds of channels on 24/7 and not just that, we can also access channels from other countries which basically gives us an unlimited access of broadcasting. This has lead to a need of many TV-programs. Usually when things need to be mass-produced it ends up being (sorry for my choice of phrasing) sh*t. There seems to be at least one cooking show and singing competition on every channel which creates TV that is extremely dull at least that is my opinion but for some reason I still choose to watch these programs.
One show that has come to my liking is Man vs Food. For those who haven't watched it, it is a man that goes around the world and participates in food challenges where he needs to eat an excessive amount of food. I seem to find some kind of joy in watching this man eating food that could feed at least 5 more people.  I often find myself watching it and thinking that I want that food too even though it would probably kill me to eat that much but a few days ago I actually thought about what I was watching and I started to feel a bit sick. We live in a world where 925 million people go hungry everyday and starvation is a big problem without a solution in the near future and I am watching this man getting paid to be on TV and eat as much as he can. It makes me wonder where this world has become. I'm not saying I sometimes take too much food and throw out some but I don't push myself to eat more than I can.
In school they used to tell us, "think about the kids in Africa" when we threw out food. We often responded that they won't get the food if we eat it anyway so why can't we throw it out. What we didn't understand then but has struck my mind afterwards is that what they meant was that we should take more than what we actually are going to eat. So why am I watching someone eating as much as he can just to win a stupid challenge?
Honestly, I have no idea but I think there is some kind of feeling we get of seeing other people pushing themselves. We admire his determination to finish the plate even though he is in pain. It is like it has become a sport but this sport won't make you fit it will only make you fatter and quite frankly when I think about it I feel a bit disappointed with myself. I'm not saying I won't enjoy watching it again but I reckon I'll have the voice of my teachers in my head when watching it. "think about the kids in Africa." I wish all the people that watch Man vs Food actually realise that what is going on is a bit strange but I guess that's why they watch it.
TV-programs now-a-days are not always of good quality but as everything that is mass-produced it will look the same as other things and it won't be as high quality as it could have been if someone actually put some thought into it and made something that really could make people engaged in the program instead of us just being engaged in someone's ability to eat. After all, when the show is over, whether he won the challenge or not, he hasn't accomplished anything except for finishing of the plate which is as easy even animals can do it.


Here is an episode for you so you can see what I'm on about.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f