Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

I didn't appreciate life until I saw someone die

I have now been a volunteer in ambulances in Israel for about 6 months actively. During this time I've seen many drunk people, old people with high blood pressure, people with stomach ache and people who I really have no idea why they called the ambulance at all but I've also seen really ill people. Some people with problems breathing and would probably stop breathing if we didn't give them oxygen, some people without a pulse, and therefore the need of CPR, and car accidents. Luckily the CPR I've done was successful and I can live my life knowing I've saved someone else's life but I've also seen people die.
The first time you see someone die you don't really know how to react. My reaction was to first calm the family down because that was all I can do. However, the things going on in my mind was "oh my god, what just happend?" Did I do something wrong? What did I miss?. I couldn't get it of my mind even though we did everything we could. I felt dirty,confused, helpless and extremly guilty. Seeing someone die infront of your eyes makes you feel that you should have been able to do something, that is what I was trained to do. This person was, however, 90 years old and I guess it was her time to go.
That comforted me but when I a couple of months later saw a 10 year old die after being hit by a car on the high-way I couldn't find any comfort. It wasn't his time to go, he had his whole life infront of him but if made me realise how precious life is. It can disappear in a second.
Yesterday my friends, who just started volunteering in ambulances had to see 3 girls die because of a car ran them over and as new volunteers they haven't had the chance to see all the good things yet with helping sick people. These volunteers, only 16 years old, had to witness this difficult thing too. I know the feeling but I also know that it goes away. You learn to live with the difficult things you've seen and switch it to something positive. I'll always carry it with me but I can't keep dwelling on it. I am alive, healthy and I don't need an ambulance. For that I am thankful.
People die everyday and unfortunately I've seen it happen, that doesn't make me sad anymore, it makes me appreciate that I am alive. As a volunteer I've seen the good sides too of life, there are many of them and that is why I do it. To help people less fortunate than me because one day, heaven forbid, that might be me and then I would want someone to be there for me. That is why volunteering has been such an important part of my life and something I encourage everyone to do. We need to take care of our life and realise the importance of it. We only live once and believe me, I know it can get taken away from us when we least expect it.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f