Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Relationships

When my grandparents were young people got married and stayed married. Divorce wasn't common and relationships were not based on hooking up in a club and then go on a couple of dates. A man needed to court the woman and the family did have a say in what they thought. Time has changed and a relationship isn't just up to the man but there are some changes that make me wonder if people still believe in marriage.
I am 20 years old and I far from ready to get married now but I know that in the near future I will hopefully be. Starting a relationship in my age should be a serious one with the hopes that it will last and lead to marriage. I'm not saying you need to get married this young, I'm just saying that we are old enough to realise what a relationship actually is.
Sometimes I think people have misunderstood the purpose of a relationship and therefore go from one person to the next and when it doesn't work they think that relationships are a waste of time. I believe it is a waste of time for the fact that they don't take it serious. If you don't believe that you are going to spend the rest of the lives together why are you even taking the time to like that person more and fall in love? If you don't want to waste your time, don't even start anything. 
It is difficult to understand that you are going to get to the point with a person where you would want to get married because living with someone for the rest of your life is a big step but it shouldn't be too difficult. Millions if not billions of people have done it before. It's a fact of realising the importance with it and that you might not be in love with this person all the time but you can still love that person.
We need to put a bit more effort into our relationships. They are not there for us to have someone to hold hands with and as soon as we get a bit annoyed we end it. I do believe in true love and hope I will find that guy I will fall madly in love with one day but honestly, does he really excist? There is no such thing as perfect and there will always be things that can annoy me. However, we can choose to see the good sides and keep the relationship going on those basis.
If relationships worked like they did 100 years ago the society would be different. We would probably have less teenage girls being pregnant because of drunk sex, less divorced people and relationships based on more than hormons.
We've all been young (I still am) and had our crushes on people but those crushes aren't love or what we should base our relationships on. If we instead choose to wait to start a relationship until we actually are ready to see the importance of it we might not have to waste time on people that just end up hurting us and destroying your trust for the next one. 

Kommentarer

  1. Very well said. I completely agree and it's so refreshing to hear someone young express this. You're very wise Naomi. :) Relationships take work and sometimes love is a choice instead of a feeling. I think a lot of people our age(ish) don't understand that and it's a real shame. It also makes it very hard to find a potential spouse who understands this and that's also a shame.

    SvaraRadera

Skicka en kommentar

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f