Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Goody two-shoes

In newspapers, blogs and tv-programs we are very often exposed to people having many problems such as drugs, alcohol, sex and so on. It is like we are surrounded by people that have problems and that it is something acceptable in the society now-a-days.
I've read many blogs about people admitting taking drugs, sleeping around or doing something else which they now regret. Don't get me wrong, I admire people sharing mistakes they've made in their life and telling the world that it is wrong and let people learn from their mistakes. However, by exposing these people this much, it makes it look like it is acceptable to behave in that way which is not. We all make mistakes some worse than other but we shouldn't incourage this.
Kids watch these people and think that when they are young they can do these things because there is a way out of it and everyone does it when they grow up right? So why can't they do the same. Kids grow up without proper role models. The society don't show off goody two-shoes. If you are goody goody you are a geek and no one wants to be like that but shouldn't they get the respect for not having to learn from mistakes. They have common sense from the beginning. I'm not trying to say that the people making mistakes don't but somehow there is something in them not realising that what they are doing is wrong.
There is a stigma about goody two-shoes that makes the society hide them and not encourage them. You don't want to be a prude or someone who never smoked some weed. It is a part of the teenage time and that is something we all have to go through. At least that is what we are told.
There is nothing wrong with being a goody two-shoes. I am and always been. During my teenage years I never got really drunk. I barely drank before it was legal and never taken drugs. Never got the point with sleeping around and yes, I am 20 and don't see anything wrong with getting married. This often surprises people. If you get married so young when are you going to live? If you never got drunk as a teenager what did you do? I don't feel like I've missed out on anything. Maybe I missed a stage in my life but I bet that there are many things I experienced that some people didn't or might not remember.
Sharing your mistakes is a good thing but don't think that just because you admit that you've done mistakes it doesn't go away. People will still glamourize the lifestyle.
If the media focused more on showing people that know right from wrong from the beginning people might realise that the teenage culture and lifestyle famous people have aren't the only lifestyle. There are some of us out there that actually likes being a bit prude and don't see the need to get extremely drunk or take drugs. There are more to life than that.

Kommentarer

  1. Good post Naomi. It's hard in this society to have different beliefs... Like if you don't believe in sex before marriage or getting totally sloshed on alcohol then society thinks you're a freak. I am glad people are willing to share mistakes they've made to help others make the same ones and I'm not perfect at all but I agree that making things "normal" that aren't good or healthy or whatever isn't a good way to go. You're right.... There's more to life than the things society thinks are acceptable/normal. Totally with you on that!
    Jo D x

    SvaraRadera

Skicka en kommentar

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f