Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Being a fan is a religion too

We all have something we find extremly important in our lives. For some people it's animal rights, fashion, nuclear weapon and for some people it is a football team. I think most of us know a person that live, eat and breathe football. I won't say I am that kind of person but I know some of them. I actually have  a tendency to get along with these people. If you don't support a team it might be difficult to relate to it and understand what it is all about. It is impossible to realise why that person is nervous before the game, not answering during the match and either sad or happy depending on the score. The truth is that the team is a part of you and therefore you feel, not for them, but with them.
Football isn't just a sport, it is a culture. Even though the players, chants and coaches change you keep on supporting the same team because you feel some kind of belonging to it and nothing is going to change it. Most people that feel this strong for a team grow up knowing that there is only this team. Since they learn how to talk they see their parents and siblings support the team and sing their chants and therefore doesn't really have any choice to support anyone else. That happend to me and probably many others.
I grew up being told to support Hammarby (a swedish team). When I was younger I didn't really care but nothing would make me switch team. It was my team, my family and the only thing I knew. If I got to choose again I would probably support another team but by growing up knowing this team I don't want to change it for anything. I am going to support my team whatever happens.
Being loyal to your team is important. A real fan doesn't change team just because your team is struggling a bit. You fight through it and keep on supporting it becuase there will come a time when the team is doing well and you then want to go through the celebration together with them.
I guess you could compare it to a religion. Even though you don't know the people standing next to you during a game you know that they believe in the same thing and want the same thing; A victory. You know the same chants, you can probably name all the players on the field and you will only focus on the game the same way as someone with the same religion as you knows the same prayers and customs. It is a part of your life and you wouldn't want to take that part away for anything.
I now-a-days see the customs involved in football. It's not just about wanting to win, it's about wearing the same clothes, knowing the chants and there are inside jokes that you won't understand if you are not a fan. It makes you feel like you belong to something. It gives you a security that when you go to see a game you will have people around you that you fit in with, people that most likely understand why you're down if you loose. Many people see it as a bad thing caring so much about football but there is nothing wrong with it.
There is nothing wrong with being a supporter, it doesn't hurt to believe in something in that way. It makes you realise that everything has its' ups and downs and even though you need to be loyal to it. The same way as people care about fashion or the latest gossip some people care about football. The difference is that in football the audience actually plays a part. If there is no atmosphere amongst the fans the game will be lousy. The supporters play an important part and we should all be proud of caring about football. After all, it is a big deal for many of us and it can bring many people so much joy becuase there is no better feeling that going to a game, win and get a random hug from a fan you don't know because we are all one big family.



Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f