Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Obsession with tv-shows

Most people in the western world owns a tv and we also spend a lot of time infront of it watching all these tv-shows about other people's lives. You, as well as I, seem to enjoy watching other people do stupid things on tv. We've got Britain's got talent, X-Factor, So you think you can dance and an endless list of talent shows and what's even worse is that these shows are usually made in many different countries but they still show all of them everywhere. This means that from time to time I can switch channel on the tv from watching American Idol to Swedish Idol and later watch Britain's got talent.

I don't watch these shows to find talent or appriciate the good singers. I watch it simply because I find it entertaining when someone really terrible shows up and try to get his 15 minutes of fame. Don't blame me, I bet many of you do the same. There is something about making fun of people not understanding that they are (excuse me for my language) crap at what they do. I don't know why but I think it has to do  with us feeling better about ourselves not being out there making a fool of ourselves but there must me something more than that. It might be a teeny tiny bit of hope inside us, wishing that this simple, normal looking or even ugly person will prove the world wrong about them and actually reach some kind of success and maybe give ourselves a hope that we can become something great too and get out of our normal distress. 

Maybe that is why we enjoy all these tv-shows about normal people living their glamorous life. I don't believe we are watching it because we find it interesting, educating or even that entertaining really but it gives us a possibility to be a part of a world we are far from living in. We all wish we were a bit more famous, good looking, smarter and richer and these tv-shows make us believe we have a chance to be it. However, I think that if we had a chance to be a part of this world we would still not be it because what we all know but choose to ignore is that the life style we see is just the good parts of a life that of course is filled with the same problem we have in a normal world.

One thing I don't understand though is why we watch tv-shows such as Big Brother, Survivor and Paradise Hotel. These tv-shows do not show glamorous life neither people trying to show off their (lack of) talent. I often wonder what we find interesting with simple, usually less intellegent, people living their normal life on tv. Yes, they are put in a different situation and there are some competition involved but most of the time we get to see their discussions and conversations most of us have everyday. Maybe we think this will give us advice how to live our lives.

Even though that is my speculation about why we enjoy watching these tv-shows I really hope this is not the case. I will continue to look for the answer what people find entertaining with watching this. I wish our lives didn't surround around these tv-shows as much as it do. Even if we can find some kind of comfort by watching them people take after these people's behaviour and try to become something we shouldn't be. People become famous without actually achieving something and we there after look up to them and try to be them. Just look at the headlines and count them. I bet you can find at least twice as many head lines about famous people from these kind of tv-shows than headlines about people that actually achieved something to reach stardom. 

I'm not judging the people watching these tv-shows, I do it too but I am warning people that it can be dangerous. Don't let it decide what you do in your life. Don't try to be them because you will never have a life that the tv shows us. That is what tv is. A lie about how our lives look like. It's not telling the truth. Even if you think the cameras record everything and you have the possibilty to see it you will never know what actually goes on behind closed doors so don't believe it and what's most important; don't take after it.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f