Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Everyone can be a hero

Yesterday was the rememberance day for the fallen soldiers in Israel. It is a sad day in Israel but also a day when I feel sad in whatever country I may be. We are honoring the young people, girls and boys, that are in the army in Israel and are fighting for our right to be there.
For me these people are heroes. It is a feeling difficult to explain but for me these people are the bravest people I've heard of. They are only 18 years old but have to grow up and take the responsibilty to keep the Jewish population safe. This day is important to all Jews around the world.
To make you understand what some of these people are capable of doing I will tell you a true story about a soldier. The soldier Roi Klein.
Roi Klein was a soldier in a fighting unit in Israel during the Lebanon War 2006. He was a father of 2 sons and just a normal man living in Israel. During the war he was with his unit and he noticed a handgrenade being thrown into the group. His first reaction wasn't what most peoples' reaction would have been. Instead of running away and saving his own life he jumped on top of the grenade and saved everyone else's lives. He, himself died before his 31 birthday and will never see his kids grow up because of his heroic act. His last words were "Hear Israel, the lord is G-d, the Lord is One."
For most of you that won't mean a thing because you might not believe in G-d or you don't know the fact that before a jew dies he's suppose to recite this. Roi Klein was fully aware of his action. He understood that doing this he would be gone, no returns, nothing to do about it. His family would be in pain and his kids would never have their father back. However, all the other soldiers would be able to return to their families.
He is not my hero just for the fact that he was fighting for Israel and making me able to have my country safe. He is my hero because his act was as far as selfish you can get and he was aware of doing it without any doubt. If I was in that situation I wouldn't be that sure of my deed. I would have screamed for help or out of fear but he didn't. He followed the laws we are told to follow.
The question I want you all to ask yourselves is what you would have done. Would you have done what Roi did or would you have run? Our actions defines us as persons and many of us are not aware of that our actions affect other people and therefore walk around thinking they can do whatever they feel like.
We have a responsibility to think about other people because if we didn't the society wouldn't work. I'm not saying that we need to sacrifies our lives for someone else because I can't ask that from anyone but I can ask people to think about other people sometimes.
We can all be heroes if we want to. There is always someone out there you can help and mean the world to but you shouldn't to it to be considered a hero. You should do it because you want to help out and it will make that person feel better. We should be like Roi Klein. He did an heroic act and he was aware of that he would never be around the get people's gratitude. He did it just for the sake of helping others and that is worth thinking about.
You may never know what results come from your action. But if you do nothing, there will be no result. –Mahatma Gandhi

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f