Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

We all need some time off

My lecturer had today a bit of a rant about Gap years where tired teenagers decide to go to Thailand or some other excotic place to have fun for a while. This inspired me to write about my gap year which was exotic in one way but not always about having fun.

I can't deny that I went on a gap year because I was tired of school. I also can't deny that my gap year was fun. It was one of the best decisions I've made so far. So to start from the beginning, my Gap year was a year in Israel with a jewish youth organisation called Bnei Akiva. It involved different parts like 2 months of leadership training, 2 months of volonteering on a kibbutz, a month of volonteering in schools, 2 months of intense studies about judaism, a month of hikng and fun activities and 2 months of volonteering in ambulance.

As you might have understood already my gap year was filled with volonteering and did therefore not involve having fun all the time. I, however, did enjoy the volonteering. Helping out has always been something I've enjoyed and that was my reason to take time off for a gap year. I knew that during my time in university I wouldn't have time for helping out as much as I wanted to so instead I took a year when I could do things for other people.

My favourite part of the year was volonteering in ambulances, Magen David Adom. We had to do a medics course and after that do shifts in ambulances. I liked it so much that I decided to stay 2 extra months during the summer which led to me spending almost 800 hours volonteering in ambulances. I have therefore seen many different things which many people haven't and I don't regret anything even though this meant me transporting dead people, seeing a 8 year old boy die and having many people throwing up on me.

I know many people think a gap year has to be about drinking, partying and having fun all the time. For me my gap year was about learning about myself and having fun but I quickly realised that fun can be something different. By working in ambulances I got friends I will have for life because we learned how to trust each other in a different way other people do. We had to work together and it was most of the time a question about life and death. I also got the experience of having a succesful CPR and the feeling of making someone's heart beat, literally, is amazing. My gap year was fun and amazing but not even the funniest moments from it will win against the feeling knowing someone is alive because of me and my friends, colleagues.

A gap year is suppose to be fun because we all need a break sometimes but it is a question about what we do with our time. I know from experience that there is nothing better than helping others and enjoy it with other people. So instead of going to party in Thailand, maybe go volonteering. You will definitely get more friends you'll keep in touch with by doing that than getting drunk. At least I did.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Thought on friendship

I have now finished my first year of university. It is a strange feeling knowing that in two years time I will be done with university and moving on with my life but it is also a good feeling knowing I've been through another year filled with experiences and new insight on life. One thing I knew before university but never really appreciated as much as now was the value of friendship. This year I've made friends that I want to make an effort to keep in touch with. I had fight with friends but sorted it out because it was more important to me than leaving it and just staying friends with the people I got along with and the most important thing, I've learnt who I can trust. Being a friend is not just finding someone else funny and listening to them talking about interesting things, it is also about hearing someone complaining about the same thing over and over even though you give them advice what to do. It is accepting that this person might never take your advice but you w

To me he is Sméagol

After finishing Lord of The Rings and the Hobbit my attitude towards the books is easy to describe; I'm in love with the books. As much as it is a struggle to get through Lord of The Rings I enjoyed every word of it and the Hobbit only made me like J.R.R Tolkien even more. One thing that made me love the books was Sméagol (Gollum). The character added a lot of entertainment but also food for thought in so many ways. We are constantly thrown between Sméagol and Gollum and the inner fight he has with himself of what he is. The reason for me feeling so connected to Sméagol is probably due to the fact that I believe everyone can relate to the feelings he is going through, especially in the society now-a-days where we often let our urge of having something can lead to us changing our behavior completely. Sméagol is one of the few characters in the book that is not purely good or bad, he switches between the two, in extreme ways. As strange as it might sound, he is just an exaggerated

Dear my unborn child

For almost nine months I've been carrying you. When I learnt that I was going to become a mother I was excited, confused and scared at the same time. How would I be able to bring a child into this world where there is so much hatred, war and horrible things happening. Little did I know. I wasn't bringing this child into a world with all that. I'll be bringing you into a world where we are fighting a war against something this world hasn't experienced before. You will be born into a world where hundreds of people even thousands die on a daily basis because of a virus, something unstoppable that has created a world where people are afraid of walking side by side. Where someone coughs and everyone around him moves away. People can't leave their houses without the fear of getting ill. You will be born into a world where no one goes safe. I always dreamt about holding you in my arms for the first time. Your grandparents meeting you and my friends and family seeing you f